Textile Studio Team Leader
We Make Good Is Ireland’s first social enterprise design brand. Established in 2018, we are a small team of committed hard working people with a passion for social justice, working towards a more equal fair society, one product at a time. We have grown from a pop up shop in 2018, to an online shop in 2019, then another pop up on Fade Street, Dublin 2 in winter 2019…where we reside to this day! In 2019 we established a sewing room, The Textile Studio, for women from a refugee background – a training and employment project that would harness the skills and talents of women building a new life for themselves here in Ireland. Now, in a new location on Mountjoy Square, we are expanding this team and are particularly looking to hire people with lived experience of the criminal justice system, women overcoming addiction and Traveller women in addition to women from a migrant/refugee background.
Our new studio will be working in dressmaking as well as homewares and alterations. We are looking at training women to attain high levels of professional competence at a level that will allow us service the Irish fashion industry.
The Role: Team Leader
We are in search of a team leader who will manage production in our workroom of, initially, three machinists. This is a full time role. We want to hear from people with experience of commercial production and a passion for sewing who to be part of creating a dedicated and hardworking team, and be involved at the beginning of the project.
You do not necessarily need to belong to one of the groups mentioned above, but we welcome you if you do.
Our ideal candidate is:
- Experienced in professional sewing
- Accurate and has an eye for detail
- Highly organised
- Capable of producing a high quality finish
- Able to read patterns
- Pattern drafting is an advantage
- A good communicator, listener, trainer and team player
- Interested in learning and helping others to learn
- Punctual and reliable
- Has empathy and understanding for others
- Interested in design
- Has excellent time management and can work to deadlines
Responsibilities (will include, but are not limited to):
- A team leader to work within and manage the workflow of a small team
- Organising incoming client orders – checking patterns and all delivered materials/notions are complete
- Divide work between machinists
- Ensure uninterrupted work flow
- Be familiar with quality control checks and implement these
- Work with the team to complete each order to the set standard
- Produce work to a high standard (as it’s a small team you are expected to be part of the production team).
- Keep the studio clear of hazards and implement the health and safety statement/ policy
- Monitor progress of trainees - highlight skills gaps and arrange/deliver additional training as needed
- Understand importance of costs and stick to budgets – actively reducing waste
- Keep track of each order & fabric stock
- Oversee equipment maintenance
- Ideally three year’s experience in professional sewing roles covering all aspects of the garment making process
- Experienced in using industrial sewing machine use
- Experienced in cutting, measuring and pressing
- A confident hand-sewer
- Experience of training
- Experience of management
- Drivers licence
- Working with people from disadvantaged backgrounds
Rate of pay for this role is €36,000 (negotiable) with potential for team target based bonuses.
Please apply with CV and cover letter, which shows your appropriateness for the role. Reply to email@example.com using Textile Studio Team Leader in the subject line, by the Tuesday the 20th of July, COB.
Interviews will be held on the 28th or the 30th of July, and interviewee informed of outcomes the week following.